I got both A Plague Tale Innocence and A Plague Tale Requiem on Epic Games Store.

When my internet connection is not working, I can play A Plague Tale Innocence fine in offline mode. Once internet connection is back, I can sync my local save back to Epic cloud.

But this does not work with A Plague Tale Requiem. If my internet connection is not working and Epic Games Store is in offline mode, I can launch game. It goes to screen with ship and rats running around that says "Press any key" ... after pressing key - screens goes white with sound still present ... but then nothing. It supposed to go to selecting save slots, but it stuck. Once, I get internet back - and launch game, Epic Store says that my save is out of sync and offers to sync it (even though I did not play it, since got stuck on white screen) - it plays fine after that with internet connected. 

Tried deleting save files from my PC and disabling cloud sync in Epic Store (also tried verifying the game files) - same result: get stuck in white screen without internet connection. Is this a bug? or is this by design - ie developers intentionally made A Plague Tale Requiem not playable offline?