Logo Platform

Keyboard & mouse bindings/modes redesign idea

Copied to clipboard!
6 days ago
Sep 13, 2024, 10:27:55 AM

After playing non-stop since the 5th of September I still have issues with how smooth the K&M bindings are, so I have a couple of ideas, add two K&M modes, let me explain:

Optional: For all modes (Normal, ADS and Hunter) make E shot counter as well, so we don't end up shooting from the hip for no reason, if an executable enemy is closer, it will pick that just like it is at the moment, else it will pick the range shot enemy, if both are available prioritize the melee execution.

• Default mode: As it is now.
  • ADS mode: Left click will both melee and shoot, it will melee if not ADSing, otherwise it will shoot, I know, this eliminates shooting from the hip.
  • Hunter mode: This is borrowing from Hunt Showdown, where holding shift will make right click ADS and left click shoot, but not holding shift will make right click block/parry and left click melee

Because execution could be an issue, now you understand why I'm suggesting it shares the interact-able key E, this game is great, I'm loving it, but the K&M poor design is frustrating me, these modes will be most welcome and make the combat feel more natural IMHO.

Updated 4 days ago.
0Send private message
6 days ago
Sep 13, 2024, 10:33:28 AM

SO  i think for the bolt rifle with grenade launcher it should still have the scope. Maybe when aiming instead of the zoom being grenade, it could be the melee button, since its not used when  aiming.

0Send private message
6 days ago
Sep 13, 2024, 10:35:31 AM

DusttheDragon wrote:

SO  i think for the bolt rifle with grenade launcher it should still have the scope. Maybe when aiming instead of the zoom being grenade, it could be the melee button, since its not used when  aiming.

For the grenade launcher you would do the same, ADS and wheel up to change to it, the idea with the modes is to make the combat smoother between both melee and range.

0Send private message
6 days ago
Sep 13, 2024, 12:10:43 PM

Also, it will be lovely to add always running setting, so I can use shift for parry ;-)

Updated 4 days ago.
0Send private message
4 days ago
Sep 15, 2024, 2:06:29 PM

Coming back to my own idea, which is about a clear separation or hybrid mode between K&M, after lots of thinking I think the best would be to add an "always running" option just like Returnal, it would remove some of the clumsiness when you are trying to recover fast, or after a parry, it will also benefit controller users.

Updated 4 days ago.
0Send private message
a day ago
Sep 18, 2024, 3:01:09 PM

The gameplay in Space Marine 2 is awesome, but man dialing in the controls on a KBM is just so difficult to get it to feel right.  There are just too many "high use / key" controls to have in easy-access areas, and the default double-bound E effectively cannot be re-bound because that causes even more control bloat (if you re-bind "E", you have to create two new bindings because the player cannot double-bind keys).  Even with extra mouse buttons, I find that to be unhelpful because for some reason, those bindings do not seem to reliably trigger in-game (for example, if I bind "Parry" to a mouse thumb button, it does not reliably function the same way as if I have it on a keyboard key - I don't know why this is, but I've seen many others report this as well).

In addition to the above suggestions, I think any customization options that would increase binding real estate/efficiency would be phenomenal. Allowing players to free up one or two keys would resolve almost all complaints about controls.  For example:

- Double-tap to Dodge.  Implementing a 'double-tap to dodge' option (e.g. W-W dodge forward, A-A left, S-S back, D-D right), that would free up a key that would provide A LOT of flexibility for binding purposes, such as Shift to ADS.

- The ability to double-bind keys.  This is done by default for the "E" key for Executions and Interact.  It may not make sense for all keys to be able to be double bound, but ones that don't inherently conflict, or allowing double-binding for "Press" vs "Hold" of keys.  If the Devs could identify scenarios where double-binding may work effectively, this could be baked into the controls setup like Execution / Interact.

Updated a day ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment