Logo Platform

Melee classes feel very underpowered compared to Ranged

Copied to clipboard!
a month ago
Sep 7, 2024, 12:59:51 AM

We can not deny that there is a ranged meta right now in any difficulty above the starter. 

The melee classes feel very under powered compared to the ranged classes, they lose way too much health from random attacks or over tuned ranged enemies which shred your armour and health far too quickly for you to feel like an actual Space Marine. A simple fix for this would be to gain a small amount of health regen upon melee kills or executions to combat this.

I bought the game hoping to relive the joy i felt from the first game when i got my hands on the Thunder Hammer and Jump pack. but in this game they just feel like they arent up to par with the rest of the classes.

The Thunder Hammer needs more damage, speed or AOE and the jump pack requires a much shorter cooldown. 

The chainsword at least opens enemies up to counters so you can regain some armour but for the other melee weapons this isnt the same.

Melee in general just feels like you're getting stun locked by ranged enemies constantly when you're a SPACE MARINE an actual walking tank and shouldn't have these problems.

Please add some sort of health regen mechanic, make armour feel like armour and not paper. buff melee damage/speed/AOE or something as at the minute the ranged classes are the only way to go in Operations and PVP.

Please and Thank you! 

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 7, 2024, 2:55:58 PM

JediBiscuit wrote:
The Thunder Hammer needs more damange or AOE

Thunder Hammer is too slow,  when you are attacking, you will also be hit by enemy, and easily been interrupted.

0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 7, 2024, 3:56:02 PM

LittleGreenFriend wrote:

JediBiscuit wrote:

Thunder Hammer is too slow,  when you are attacking, you will also be hit by enemy, and easily been interrupted.

I agree completely, ive seen countless posts and videos saying assault is the weakest class, everything interupts you or your armour and health gets shredded by ranged or mobs in close combat.

0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 7, 2024, 8:10:46 PM

The real problem with Thunder Hammer is the lack of stagger, you hit an enemy with it and it has no real impact so enemies just hit you back and since you're animation locked, you get melted in less than a second.

0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 8, 2024, 4:41:14 PM

Kristof_Dueral wrote:

The real problem with Thunder Hammer is the lack of stagger, you hit an enemy with it and it has no real impact so enemies just hit you back and since you're animation locked, you get melted in less than a second.

Upon playing more ive noticed this too, most attacks seem to miss the enemy or if you're just about to land a charged attack and the enemy decides to attack, their attack takes priorty over yours knocking you out of the animation and the perk on the skill tree dosent stop the damage you take.

0Send private message
0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 9, 2024, 5:39:03 PM

I'm very excited to wave the hammer, but I rarely use it in the campaign. I prefer to use energy swords with more balanced speed and damage. I personally think the hammer needs to get damage relief or aoe damage when waving(Non-heavy strike). The weakness of thunder hammer and boxing gloves directly leads to the weakness of the pve pattern。

0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 11, 2024, 6:11:32 AM

ELROHI wrote:

I am playing sniper and I just blow their heads off, the guys are slow and big, try a harder difficulty maybe.

Read the title of the thread to understand the point. 

0Send private message
a month ago
Sep 11, 2024, 10:16:52 PM

LittleGreenFriend wrote:

JediBiscuit wrote:

Thunder hammer is a joke.

0Send private message
25 days ago
Sep 12, 2024, 3:08:30 PM

uzsibox wrote:

LittleGreenFriend wrote:

JediBiscuit wrote:

Thunder hammer is a joke.

Thunder Hammer is one of the coolest weapons in the game.....that said its also one of the most underwhelming at higher difficulties. Damage is far to low for how slow and risky it is to swing.

0Send private message
24 days ago
Sep 13, 2024, 12:57:20 PM

The Power Fist and Thunder Hammer are indeed extremely bad. Their damage is poor (read: the same as other weapons), combined with their slow speed, making them very bad choices.

Melee as a whole, however, is exceptionally strong. Because you can regain armor and that is not possible in a ranged firefight. Gun Strikes are melee attacks; you are required to melee the enemy to do one, and regain armor that way. Melee executions are the other principal way, alongside the Bulwark's Banner ability.

I think what's really going on in this thread is that people assume that the melee classes' unique weapons such as the Power Fist, are actually good, when in truth they suck. Meanwhile the Combat Knife is basically the best melee weapon in the game, even though the Vanguard and Sniper are the only ones who get it and they are not generally considered melee classes except by some of the more experienced marines.

Honestly the ranged weapons need some help in this department, in both damage output and a way to recover armor from a distance. Such as a lethal headshot counting as a Gun Strike even if you aimed the shot yourself rather than the melee + Gun Strike mechanic which is an auto hit headshot, which if lethal will give you armor.

0Send private message
0Send private message
21 days ago
Sep 16, 2024, 7:25:57 PM

LittleGreenFriend wrote:

JediBiscuit wrote:

it is too slow for pve thats for sure. On pvp however it requires skill and someone with such skill can make it work like a charm to devastating effects. In my experience ofc.

0Send private message
20 days ago
Sep 17, 2024, 11:33:27 PM

Yes melee is trash considering how little melee damage you dish out. The reason melee "damage" is somewhat viable is because of gun strike (not even melee LMAO). Try hitting melee without gun strike the enemy, you'll be surprise how non-existent the damage is

Bonus : Power fist 100% contested health gain perk is a joke because how little your damage anyway lmao, do they even test the melee damage???

0Send private message
12 days ago
Sep 25, 2024, 6:52:41 AM

Thunder Hammer should have FENCING as default on all specs, trade offs should be between speed, strength, and cleave.

Assault, completely separately should have: more pistol/secondary customisations, for example: Plasma Pistol, Metla Pistol. Equipment customisations, including an extra equipment item, for example: two melta-bombs and an ability to throw melta-bombs.

We also need more melee weapons, such as power axes, power swords to more classes, lightning claws. With a new difficulty getting some unique artifact items would be amazing as well.

0Send private message
12 days ago
Sep 25, 2024, 3:36:13 PM

Truly its very hard to have top melee damage bigger than top range damage, for now it feels like range classes will always do more damage than melee classes, but hey maybe that because we keep enemies at bay while those shooty guys are able to pick their targets...

0Send private message
12 days ago
Sep 25, 2024, 8:38:10 PM

All melee weapons need a buff in my opinion; they just do not compare when it comes to risk vs reward to the ranged weapons.

Going into melee leaves you open to both enemy melee and ranged attacks. Melee should be staggering the crap out of mobs within melee range. As it stands classes like the Assault cannot properly fulfil their role because leaping into the thick of it or back lines is suicide. Enemies attack while you are still animation locked in a basic swing and even if you parry you are still open to attacks from ranged.

Most boss fights in operations come down to melee centered classes simply pulling out their pistol because it will do just as much damage as a thunder hammer but has the added benefit of being able to keep your character somewhat safe. This shouldn't be the case. Items like the Thunder Hammer and Power Fist should hit so hard it encourages the player to want to rush the boss. However as it stands both Assault and Bulwarks will simply sit back and plink away with their pistols.

And who can blame them? The pistol does just as much damage as the thunder hammer or power fist anyway.

0Send private message
12 days ago
Sep 25, 2024, 10:04:55 PM

ChiTownTx wrote:

All melee weapons need a buff in my opinion; they just do not compare when it comes to risk vs reward to the ranged weapons.

Going into melee leaves you open to both enemy melee and ranged attacks. Melee should be staggering the crap out of mobs within melee range. As it stands classes like the Assault cannot properly fulfil their role because leaping into the thick of it or back lines is suicide. Enemies attack while you are still animation locked in a basic swing and even if you parry you are still open to attacks from ranged.

Most boss fights in operations come down to melee centered classes simply pulling out their pistol because it will do just as much damage as a thunder hammer but has the added benefit of being able to keep your character somewhat safe. This shouldn't be the case. Items like the Thunder Hammer and Power Fist should hit so hard it encourages the player to want to rush the boss. However as it stands both Assault and Bulwarks will simply sit back and plink away with their pistols.

And who can blame them? The pistol does just as much damage as the thunder hammer or power fist anyway.

Lol, this is the pure reality, the melee damage it's a joke, even the best sword full unlocked do damn low damage, need 8 hits at last to do something 😅 in melee... With all the risk you have, assault it's just 🥔, so no one use it, just a less class into the game 🤷‍♂️ but the bulwark too, can survive, but damage it's not easy to do, in melee the boss fights you just don't use melee, coz do nothing damage, there is no risk=reward at all, this it's just a bit nosense and need to revisit 

0Send private message
10 days ago
Sep 27, 2024, 3:00:49 PM

Assault player here, game is awesome now playing assault.  Completely agree pre patch melee was underpowered.  Thunderhammer is a monster once you get it to relic, and when you start using that double smash move, all sorts of wonderful things start happening.

Landing a fully charged aftershock on Carnifex is so fun, and the damage is really nice.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment